The Clevedon Horticultural Society was formed in 1869, the same year as Clevedon’s historic pier opened and held its first show later that year, in Herbert Gardens.
Entries were split into 2 categories; “gentlemen with gardeners” and “cottage gardens”
The show proved very successful and grew rapidly, by 1873 the Bristol and Exeter Railway was running excursions to the event and paddle steamers brought more visitors from Wales.
During the late Victorian and Edwardian era, Clevedon became an increasingly popular destination for the well-to-do, and the show flourished.
The Show was suspended for the duration of the First World War, not resuming until 1921, World War Two likewise saw no shows being held between 1939 and 1946
With the exception of one year, when a shortage of volunteers, resulted in the event being cancelled, the show has run (almost) continuously since the end of the war.
Over the years, the show has been held a various venues throughout the town; Herbert Gardens, Clevedon Court and the Community Centre, before moving to its current site on the sea front in the late 1960’s.